A story of sickness.
A couple weeks ago Rome got sick. He was coughing and had a runny nose and stopped sleeping. No fun. So, I took him to the doctor and they said he had a cold and an ear infection. They gave him amoxicillan (sp?) and then Benadryll. Great. He started feeling better and sleeping. Yay!
Then, we went to Tucson. We went out every day. He hardly napped and went to bed waaaay late every night. The poor kid was a bit cranky and whiny. We walked around a lot and he refused to drink anything. I thought he was just tired. In fact the day before we went home was his Birthday party and he went down for a nap at 2pm...and never got up. He slept all night. He hardly MOVED. So, yea, just tired. Well, we got home and he started coughing again. I thought maybe the medicine didn't work and his awful cold was back. It doesn't work on me. So, I took him back to the doctor and they looked at his throat and it looked terrible. They thought he had tonsilitis and gave me a different antibiotic for it. I ran to the store to get it and started it right away. Then he got a rash. Just a little one on his arms. I thought maybe it was a little eczema. Mine has been unhappy from swimming in the pool all week. But, his got worse. I checked him after we went to the park and his rash looked terrible. His feet had blisters and it had spread up his legs and on his arms and hands. It was even going up his tummy and back. Yikes! I called his doctor and told them I thought it was an allergic reaction the medicine. They said to stop the medicine and give him Benadryll. I got him up from his non-nap (he cried in his crib for an hour) and the rash was on his face. I had a minor meltdown and rushed him and baby Capri to the store to get some Benadryll quick! Then, on the drive home, I realized that I already had some and it was on the kitchen counter. Oops. Oh well, now I have more. Well, the Benadryll wasn't doing anything about the rash. I called his doctor again this morning and they said to bring him in. (3rd visit in 2 weeks, yuck!) We rushed back to the doctor's office and they finally figured out what he has. Hand, foot and mouth disease. A virus. It is contagious and last 7-10 days and there is not much to do about it. Ugh. That is why he doesn't want to drink anything. He has blisters in his mouth. Poor kid! I guess we are staying home for awhile. Now to throw out my resolve to not watch TV all day long. Maybe I will try again in 10 days.
Update: Yea, I got it too. Blisters in my mouth and throat. Ouch! Dang sharing with a 2 year old! I am now starting to tune out CARS. Good because we have another week stuck at home.
His, Hers, and Ours; Who does what in your house?
6 months ago