Thursday, May 20, 2010

Foot, Hand and Mouth

A story of sickness.
A couple weeks ago Rome got sick. He was coughing and had a runny nose and stopped sleeping. No fun. So, I took him to the doctor and they said he had a cold and an ear infection. They gave him amoxicillan (sp?) and then Benadryll. Great. He started feeling better and sleeping. Yay!
Then, we went to Tucson. We went out every day. He hardly napped and went to bed waaaay late every night. The poor kid was a bit cranky and whiny. We walked around a lot and he refused to drink anything. I thought he was just tired. In fact the day before we went home was his Birthday party and he went down for a nap at 2pm...and never got up. He slept all night. He hardly MOVED. So, yea, just tired. Well, we got home and he started coughing again. I thought maybe the medicine didn't work and his awful cold was back. It doesn't work on me. So, I took him back to the doctor and they looked at his throat and it looked terrible. They thought he had tonsilitis and gave me a different antibiotic for it. I ran to the store to get it and started it right away. Then he got a rash. Just a little one on his arms. I thought maybe it was a little eczema. Mine has been unhappy from swimming in the pool all week. But, his got worse. I checked him after we went to the park and his rash looked terrible. His feet had blisters and it had spread up his legs and on his arms and hands. It was even going up his tummy and back. Yikes! I called his doctor and told them I thought it was an allergic reaction the medicine. They said to stop the medicine and give him Benadryll. I got him up from his non-nap (he cried in his crib for an hour) and the rash was on his face. I had a minor meltdown and rushed him and baby Capri to the store to get some Benadryll quick! Then, on the drive home, I realized that I already had some and it was on the kitchen counter. Oops. Oh well, now I have more. Well, the Benadryll wasn't doing anything about the rash. I called his doctor again this morning and they said to bring him in. (3rd visit in 2 weeks, yuck!) We rushed back to the doctor's office and they finally figured out what he has. Hand, foot and mouth disease. A virus. It is contagious and last 7-10 days and there is not much to do about it. Ugh. That is why he doesn't want to drink anything. He has blisters in his mouth. Poor kid! I guess we are staying home for awhile. Now to throw out my resolve to not watch TV all day long. Maybe I will try again in 10 days.

Update: Yea, I got it too. Blisters in my mouth and throat. Ouch! Dang sharing with a 2 year old! I am now starting to tune out CARS. Good because we have another week stuck at home.


Richards Family said...

Poor guy! Hang in there and do whatever it takes to make everyone comfortable. Even watch tv. In fact, go rent lots of movies (mom and dad movies and kid movies) just to make it bearable. Call if you need anything. Even to run to the store for you if you need.

Alicia said...

WOW! That sounds horrible! I'm so sorry. Poor guy!

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

Poor thing! Hope he gets better soon!!

Clarissa said...

My gosh Jocie, that is awful. I hope it doesn't get passed to the baby. I wish I could help. Maybe it would help if you knew we have been sick for two weeks here. Keep us update. Poor Rome. Have you had someone over to give him a blessing? It would help I am sure.

Lacey said...

GAH! You mentioned blisters on FB but I forgot when I talked to you and I should have known that's what it was. I had lots of kids at daycare get that. Not that knowing any sooner would have done much for you since they can't really do anything for it...but still.