Thursday, July 30, 2009

Emotional

I haven't noticed that I have been more emotional than normal lately. Until today...
I have been worried about Rome talking. He doesn't. Not that he doesn't say stuff. He says LOTS of STUFF just no words. Mama, Dada. Of course, but I keep hearing about other kids that are saying tons of WORDS. Ball, bird, dog, shoe, go, outside, door, you name it. Well, Rome just does not do that. I try to talk to him about stuff. I worry that I don't talk enough (me.. quiet.. no) and I don't read to him enough (he won't sit through a story) and maybe he just isn't picking it up. We have been working really hard to get him to sign ANYTHING. Finally he signs (sometimes) all done, more and once or twice, hungry. Even then there is a lot of screaming involved to get him to do it. Which is hard because I KNOW what he wants. Well, most of the time. It is not like he is not communicating or understanding. He pulls you to the door if he want to go outside or to his high chair if he is hungry. He puts his leg up if he wants up (like he is trying to climb you, funny kid). He knows what we are saying too. He will go get the ball if you ask or his shoes or his milk. He will look for Daddy or the dog if you ask. So, I am not worried about his hearing or anything, just his speaking. I feel like he should have said some kind of WORD by now. I just kept hoping that he was saying words and maybe I just couldn't pick them out. But if I am his mother and I can't pick them out then is he really saying them? Worry...
Today, I decided to look it up. I went on Babycenter and looked up milestones and talking. I found out that it is not a problem this early (he is only 14 months) and I should start to look into it if he doesn't have 8-10 words by the time he is 18 months. So, I have a while before he is really behind. However, I didn't realize how worried I was because this information totally had me bawling. BAWLING! Seriously emotional! I am glad Josh was not home. How would I explain that I don't feel bad, I just feel better? Rome is fine. Maybe I am doing the right things. Maybe he is just working on running and not talking. He will get there. Man, I really didn't plan on having such an emotional morning. At least I had a good reason. Not like those stinking Hallmark commercials, they get me every time and I don't even cry at movies!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Every kids is different, so don't try to compare. I know it's hard being your first. With my first, I compared every milestone, making sure she was right on track. Tyler, the one who's the same age as Rome, wasn't walking until the begining of July. If it was my first I would of freaked out, but I forgot he was even that old and not walking yet. If it makes you feel any better, Tyler doesn't really say any words yet or sign. Sometimes I think he's saying Moma or dada, but then again, I think he's just saying constanants. He'll say no, no, just copying what I say. I don't think he knows what it means. Sure there are tons of kids that are saying tons more words than him. Oh well. He'll get it. Pat and Becky's boy is almost three, and I'm just barely starting to understand his words. You might be surprised, he's probably saying more words than you think, but you might not be able to understand him yet until it becomes more clear. (even if you are his mother) Sorry for the long winded comment. I'm sorry you're emotional. It's so hard being pregnant. Don't worry about Rome, though. It's only guidelines.

Autumn said...

I can totally relate! I worry about my kids constantly, Jeff thinks I'm kinda paranoid sometimes I think. And of course I cry all the time. My favorite thing to say right now is "I blame it on the pregnancy" :)

Annie Jarman said...

Yeah, don't worry about it. My nephew is three and his language is only now starting to make sense to everyone else besides his parents and he's totally fine. Kids develop at their own pace.

But being pregnant doesn't help at all with the already hypersensitive Mommy Worry, does it?

Richards Family said...

I think I was worried about Sean at that same age. Then all the sudden one day, close to 18 months, he just started talking. Now he won't stop talking - don't worry it will come. You will get to the point that you will want him to stop saying - "I want Daddy, or go Grandma's house" for the umpteenth time during the day!