Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Capri

So, here is my birth story for Capri.
I talked to my midwife on Tuesday and told her I was having problems with my back going out. There is not much to do about this except for have a baby. So, she said they have an opening to induce Thursday morning. I said Yes of course! I was so excited. I called my mom to come down and thought I had everything planned, except Rome. I decided I wanted my Mom at the hospital with me. Josh was there too, but he is more of a back seat helper. Which is fine, at least he was there. Well, all evening Wed. I was calling people to see if they could watch Rome. It was not working out very well. I couldn't get a hold of anyone and it was YM/YW/Boy Scout activity night. So, nobody was answering. Finally, after 10 pm, I got some friends to say they could watch him. Ahh, good! I kept getting things ready. You know, just being nervous. I tried to go to sleep, but it didn't work. My Mom showed up at midnight and told me I should be sleeping. Yea, I know, I tried. Finally I got to sleep and woke up a dozen times until 5 am. Then, I just laid in bed until 6 when I was supposed to get up. I got ready and got Rome ready and Josh dropped him off while my Mom and I went to the hospital. We checked in and got a room and waited. Josh showed up just in time for my midwife to check me and give me the Cytotec (??) insert at about 9 am. I got my IV and antibiotics. Then, Josh went to get an oil change on his truck while Mom and I walked around the hospital. I started having a few contractions, maybe 10 minutes apart. We went back to the room to have the nurse check me at 10:45 and then walked around some more. Josh came back and brought me a snack at 11:45. I was having contractions maybe 8 min. apart and my back was hurting really bad in between. So, no real break in between, but not too bad yet. My nurse checked me again and we walked down and got Mom some lunch. We went back up and my midwife checked on me and I was only at a 2 maybe 3. She broke my water and I expected to go out and walk around some more. It never happened. I leaked and leaked and my contractions just got faster and faster. I got some kind of medicine in my IV that helped me to relax and worked great. I moved around my room and had ice on my back and my face. I was still having back pain in between contractions off and on. I could really tell when baby girl changed position because it would my back would hurt again. Time kind of got lost after that. I know my midwife checked me and I was at a 6. I wasn't real happy to hear that. She was a very good back massager though. I had the relaxing medicine again and it didn't help much. It was getting painful and I thought about getting an epidural, but at the same time I felt okay. I could make it through the contractions and relax after. It helped that the contractions only hurt on my lower belly. Not all over like with Rome. I could tell they were working and doing something and I could kind of relax into them. I finally got one last dose of relaxer medicine and got on the ball. I think Josh held ice on my back and my Mom helped me breathe. I thought it was really weird that I could hear what everyone was saying, but kind of from a distance. And I kept thinking, "I am okay, I feel pretty good." Yea, even at the end. My midwife checked me and said I was at an 8 so it would be really fast after this. I didn't want to hear that I was only an 8 and I told them that I had heard that before with Rome and I was skeptical. I think that was at 3:00. The contractions were really painful and really fast (I think). I thought that I would get an epidural after 3 more contractions. They started asking if I felt pressure and I couldn't tell. They said I could push I felt like it. So, I tried. It didn't feel better, but it kind of helped. I got on the bed and my midwife came in. She said I didn't have to wait for a contraction, just go for it. I pushed twice and she was out! at 3:50 pm. Only about 5 hours of labor. Crazy! Then, I hurt. Josh and Mom were looking at the baby and Josh cut the cord. Good job honey! I was just on the bed crying. I thought it was supposed to feel better after they are born. No, it hurt a lot. I think that is the only time I cried. I didn't even open my eyes to see the baby. I think it was about 1/2 hour later that I could calm down and sit up. I finally saw baby Capri and got to hold her. I think she looks like a little an eskimo baby with that round face and chubby cheeks.
Afterwards, I stayed in my room for a while. I was super tired. With Rome, I remember being wide awake for hours. Not so with Capri. I was exhausted and couldn't sleep. They wanted to check me and nurse a baby and move me and check me and nurse a baby and check me again. Seriously, they were nice, but I was so tired! I think it has to do with whatever relaxer medicine they gave me because it lasted for days. I am so glad my Mom was here to play with Rome and that Josh just wanted to hold the baby. It left me with nothing to do but sleep. And I did. I could use more, but I am doing okay.
Capri is seriously such a good baby. I am sure she will find her voice,but for now she just squeaks when she is awake. She hangs out, eats and goes back to sleep. She even lets me sleep for 4 hour stretches at night. You really can't ask for more than that!
Such a huge change from Rome. And I am soo very glad for it. I needed a GOOD story to make up some for my traumatic first one. I don't think I ever really told people about it. It was bad. We'll leave it there.

1 comment:

Lynds said...

YAY- thanks for sharing! It sounds SO much better than last time.... smoother sailing for sure. Enjoy your sleep :-).