Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Sewing Story

This is a story of a sewing machine. It was a good and loyal sewing machine. It worked hard for my Mother in law for years. She had long since gotten a new one, but thought she could give this sturdy old one to me. I was grateful for the gift. I was sewing things on a tiny repair machine that was awful. I went right to work with my new friend. Sadly, it was not meant to be. I tried to sew a zig-zag stitch and it started to snag. Then, it no longer wanted to sew anything for me. I tried my best, but it was to no avail. I finally called the "Sewing Machine Doctor" out of the phone book. I met him at Wal-Mart and gave him my poor machine to fix and clean for $50. I thought this was a pretty good deal until I saw that I could BUY a new one for $80. Umm, why don't I? I thought about it for a week or two and called this "doctor" back about my repair job. Well, he was unavailable. I talked to his mother who told me he had gone to the hospital a couple days ago. It turns out he was diabetic and didn't know it and well, he died. Yes, DIED! I felt sorry for the lady and told her not to worry and to take her time returning my sewing machine. She said he hadn't fixed it anyway. Well, this was very interesting and Josh called his Mom to tell her the ill-fated news. The poor old sewing machine has got some bad luck. Well, she said not to run out and buy a new one because she was going to a fancy quilting convention and maybe she could get me a good deal. Okay, but I am itching to sew NOW! I finally borrowed my friend's machine and started sewing like mad. A week later my In-Laws came to visit and brought me my fancy new machine. It is so pretty and wonderful! I am still figuring it out, but it works and that makes me really happy. The moral of the story is don't mess with a machine when it has run out of luck, just be patient and get a really good deal on a new one. Oh, and be careful who you give it to.

The poor old machine

My fancy new one, isn't it pretty!

No comments: